Further to an earlier post i did relating to a similar error message I did come across this issue again in 2 separate environments. Oddly v.uneven in how often it would happen but it would only occur with the app-v published applications we had.
Summary of environments
Both Xenapp 7.13
VDA’s running 7.15
Published to VDA’s running MCS and PVS images respectively.
Band-aid fix was to reset the profile in Director. Did see instances of “bad” profiles having files in their AppData\local\Microsoft\Credentials folder but a removal didn’t do anything.
Ultimately came down to controller version. Upgrading environments to the 7.15 LTSR resolved the issue. If you review the readme for 7.15 it details the fix specifically:
When launching an App-v package using the Microsoft App-V 5.0 infrastructure integrated with XenDesktop, the App-V package might fail to synchronize and the following exception occurs:
“Cannot start <applicationname>” [#LC5483]
Shout out to Wendell who posted some great recommendations regarding the above setup – will definitely save some time for folks in the long run particularly relating to UPM configuration piece and getting that right, details enclosed:
Recently came across this question on the citrix discussions and must say Martin has come up with a novel approach to what could of required a more complicated solution – see thread below:
This is a new feature that comes with AdminStudio, interesting in that in this release certainly looking to increase its toolset in the “assessment” stage of the application lifecycle. Another example of that is the number of new security risk assessment tests for applications, something AppDNA has been targeting too in its recent releases. As such for analysis level activities i have tended to ignore the test center portion for AdminStudio and focused my analysis of applications using AppDNA but might have to reconsider that.
Anyhow for those familiar with AdminStudio the process to import a web application is very similar to importing a regular application
To import a deployed web application:
1. Open Application Catalog.
2. On the Home tab of the ribbon, click the Import button. The Source panel of the Import Wizard opens
3. Select Website from URL and click Next. The Web Site Details panel will open
4. In the URL field, enter the URL to the web application you want to import, such as: http://www.acme.com
5. Not obligatory but In the User name and Password fields, enter the login credentials for the specified web application
6. To test the entered credentials, click the Test button.
7. Click Next. The Destination Group panel opens.
8. Select the group into which you want to import this web application and then click Next. The Summary panel opens.
9. Review the information on the Summary panel, and then click Next to begin the import.
10. When the import is complete, click Finish to close the wizard. The web application is now listed in the Application Catalog tree in the group that you specified.
Lets more info on new features etc can be found in the AdminStudio 2018 guide
From time to time might encounter issues relating to your WMI provider service. This service interacts directly with the SCCM client so is an important one as would affect in a lot of cases to patch your systems. Have seen this pop-up moreso in pre-2012 r2 environments but still does.
Regards automating fixes for this issue there is an auto-recover facility that comes with Window server OSes 2008 r2 or later.
on how to enable.
Recently setup a pool of Citrix VDA’s (7.16) to house app-v packages for publication using SMB/Single Admin mode.
On setting up (thought I) followed all the steps outlined in:
but missed a key action on first pass, when launching my app in citrix i would get the “cannot Start <App-name>” message (pretty common and not terribly informational 🙂
Anyways said the key action i did miss was as per above eDoc:
“Tip: After you install the App-V client, with Administrator permissions, run the PowerShell Get-AppvClientConfiguration cmdlet, and ensure that EnablePackageScripts is set to 1. If it is not set to 1, run Set-AppvClientConfiguration -EnablePackageScripts $true.“
Once implemented was all good to go.
Recently been working with Flexera’s App Portal product and is pretty rich in what it can provide from a functionality perspective eg in particular its leasing capabilities, ability to remove unused applications that users’ have previously requested in particular is an attractive feature as it has the capability to provide a lot of savings to an enterprise from a license perspective.
One issue did come across this week that I wanted to take a mental note of going forward is the ability to only show packages that are native to the OS you are on. Currently undergoing migration to Windows 10 and as part of that are adding more and more applications to the self service portal. As we have a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10 workstations it was important that packages from one OS weren’t shown as being available when logging on to the other OS (an issue of which I came across this week and which we had such a failure).
So found the fix for this. In order to resolve need to do the following:
i) Log to the admin console of App Portal (normally the URL uses https://<app portal server>/esd/admin
ii) Click on the catalog item which you want amend
iii) Click the Visibility tab
iv) Click the Collections tab
v) Click Add Condition
vi) Choose the particular OS collection you want to limit the visibility and click ok
After that that particular catalog item (or package in self-service terms) will appear from the self-service.